Building a Trellis for pots is easy, no matter what size pot you have. And once you figure out the basics of making a Trellis, you can create one for anything, even a raised bed or just a random area of your garden.
So how do you make a Trellis for pots? You will probably be pleased to know that it is easy and takes just a little time to complete. To build a Trellis for pots, you need something to attach your plants to, such as bamboo or sticks for stakes, and rope or twine to tie the material together and attach vining plants.
Continue reading below for some simple and creative Trellis ideas for indoor and outdoor potted plants. We also answer frequently asked questions, so you won’t be stuck when it comes time to make your own Trellis.
How Do You Build a Trellis for Planters and Pots?
You may be surprised by the cost and lack of variety when buying a Trellis in-store or online.
Thankfully, it is easy enough to build a Trellis planter, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money to build a design that stands out and makes your garden unique and beautiful while also supporting your plants.
DIY Bamboo Trellis for Potted Plants
Since bamboo can be pretty flexible, making a DIY plant Trellis with bamboo for pots can be straightforward. Really all you need is something to cut through the bamboo and some string, and you are ready to get creative.
You could make a simple square Trellis by using your bamboo stakes horizontally and vertically and tying them at the intersections. You could also make a ‘V-shaped one by angling your vertical sticks away from each other. You could even make a ladder shape by only having two vertical ones running parallel and a few horizontal ones.
If you wanted to get creative with the ladder shape, you could add just horizontal ones and a thick rope that your bamboo sticks are tied to for a more free-hanging ladder that works indoors if you can hang it from the roof.
Small Trellis for Pots
If you have indoor plants, you likely don’t want an overly large Trellis, especially for smaller plants.
Thankfully, sticks and some twine make an excellent Trellis that you can adapt to whatever size you need. You can use any stick you want, as long as they are sealed so that they will last a long time. Wood, metal, or even ones you find in your backyard.
If you are artsy or want something that can fit your garden theme, you can even paint the sticks or get colored rope in a pattern or color you like. Since you can use any sticks, you might even be able to find some you like that are already designed the way you want.
You need 4 or 5 sticks of similar length and are ready to start.
- To start, take two sticks in a ‘V’ shape.
- Break one of your sticks into two parts, keeping one side of the stick bigger than the other. These will be your horizontal pieces, so you can measure if you want to place them at certain heights and cut your sticks to fit where you want them to. You don’t have to have a lot of overhang on either end, but you want them to stick out enough that you can wrap the twine or rope around the ‘V’ shape and the horizontal stick.
- Repeat the measuring by tying around the central ‘V’ and horizontal sticks until you are happy with the size. You can cut the ‘V’ shape shorter if you want.
Also, if you need the ‘V’ to be wider, but are worried about minimal support, you can create a ‘W’ by using three stakes instead of two and tying them together at the bottom.
Simple Trellis for Pots
If you want to get something simple, one of the easiest and cheapest options is to get a regular wire tomato cage and stick it into your pot. If you want a specific color, you can spray paint it to fit whatever theme.
- Unless you want to cut and wrap the metal, it is best to find a suitably sized tomato cage that will easily fit inside your pot. Preferably, you want it just a little smaller in diameter than your pot.
- Most people put the tomato plant cage upside down, so the legs are sticking up in the air. To bring the legs together in the center, you can use rubber bands, ties, or even baluster knuckles that you see on stairs.
- Then, you will need something to hold the top part of the tomato cage to your pot. Most people use plant labels with stakes if they already have them, but any two-pronged stake would work fine.
This is easily one of the simplest methods for creating a Trellis, and you might be able to use materials you already have around your garden to set it up.
If you want something more unique while also upcycling items you may have hanging around your yard, there are a few options to give you an idea of what you can work with:
- Old bike tires: Believe it or not, the spokes on bike wheels make a fun way to add a Trellis to your pots. Smaller wheels can work for smaller-sized pots outdoors, while full-sized bike wheels make an excellent Trellis for large pots. If you want to have a lot of fun with it and have a tall Trellis, you can even stack multiple tires on top of each other, each one smaller than the other.
- Ladders: Do you have an old wooden or metal ladder you don’t know what to do with? Turn it into a Trellis. This works incredibly well near a wall or the edge of a home, as you can just lean the ladder against the wall, and it is ready to use.
- Broken gardening tools: If you want something unique, taking old gardening tools and turning them into a Trellis creates something special. Using tools like shovels, rakes, pitchforks, or a mix of all three can give you a unique Trellis that stands out. The best part is that you can cut the handles if they are too long!
How Do You Build a Trellis Frame?
The best way to build a Trellis frame is to focus on your outer parts first. Usually, you want to use larger, more supportive wood or metal along the outside. Then you can put a lighter structure in the middle, like mesh or a thin wooden ladder structure.
Is it Cheaper to Build Your Trellis?
While buying one or two Trellis isn’t bad, the price can add up when you have to start to buy several. Thankfully, it is easy enough to build your own Trellis, and can be a lot cheaper, especially if you are just using items that are lying around not being used for anything else.
How Do You Anchor a Freestanding Trellis?
To anchor a freestanding Trellis, all you have to do is insert spikes into the ground. Depending on the size of your Trellis and the weight it needs to support, 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 cm) is more than enough. You can use wood or metal. Leave about half of the stake above the ground, and tie the Trellis to that using a sturdy twine, rope, or even a zip tie.
What Can I Use Instead of a Trellis?
You can use just about anything as a Trellis as long as it climbs up tall enough for your plants and can be secured. We mentioned things like old gardening tools, ladders, and old bikes, but there are many more.
Other people have used woven branches from when they trimmed their trees, and one person even used a chandelier. Old metal bed frames are also pretty neat and can add a fun burst of color if you paint them first. Your imagination is the only thing stopping you from turning something into a Trellis!
We particularly like using old window frames as a Trellis, as it adds a mystical look to our garden.
Building your own Trellis is a great way to save money that you could use to buy more plants. Not only are they easy to make, but you can even use them to get creative and brighten your home and garden.
To build a Trellis for pots, you first need something to attach your plants to, such as bamboo or sticks for stakes, and rope or twine to tie the material together and to attach vining plants.
Who knew that all you needed for the perfect Trellis was some string, wood, and a little creativity? You can even stand out from the rest by using recycled pieces from around your home and garden.